Sunday, September 26, 2010

Gut wrenching decisions



Grief, we started to go through my clothes today to see what we wanted to keep, donate or chuck.


It was a gut wrenching experience and Jan had to help. I guessed that she wanted me to smarten up a bit. I even threw away a pair of jeans that were so patched and frail that I was scared to wear them and kept them in the wardrobe. That really hurt.


We found at least 10 pairs of trousers that I haven't worn for years but still kept because they were a size that I could 'easily' get down to. I seem to remember that that's what I said eight years ago. Anyway, flairs are very fashionable now or so I'm told.


The biggest group of clothes was old tennis gear, particularly from my time as a coach in England many years ago. So some lucky sod is going to be walking around France with the name of a very well known public school emblazoned on his chest. How posh is that? It'll look good as he crawls out of his bar!


With a little over a week to go before the removal men arrive, the house is starting to look very bare. When we first moved in we enjoyed a minimalist style of living but it's amazing how much stuff we have collected over the last eight years. Having now packed a lot of boxes and having sold or given away a ton of stuff the place feels very empty. All a bit spooky.


Even after the removal men have departed we will continue to live in the house for a few days because the house we are moving into won't be vacant. So it will be back to the same minimalist state as when we first moved in. Even more spooky.

2 comments:

Craig said...

It'll be interesting to see how Minnie and Max react as changes in a house can freak them out a bit too.
When we emptied the Cognac house Boris wasn't a happy camper at all!
Glad to hear that the sale and move are going well.

Alex said...

Funny you should say that. Minnie hardly flinches, we don't think that she's the brightest, but you can see that Max, who we have always thought is quite sensitive, is definitely 'confused'. Best to you both.