Friday, April 03, 2009

The Sportsman's Arms


One of the things that I've been looking forward to munching lots of this trip is hot cross buns. I love em! Yes I know they're fattening but once a year can't be so bad, can it? (Er, yes - Ed) Anyway, they've been on the table for breakfast each morning, spread thick with butter, fulfilling my little fantasy. No doubt I'll be sick of them soon but at the moment I'm in heaven. Excellent.

Staying on a foodie theme, no trip to Harrogate is complete without a trip to The Sportsman's Arms, in Wath Nidderdale. Whilst the girls were enjoying the warm country air, I was on a mission to sink a pint of Black Sheep bitter. So everyone was happy! Jan, whom I class as a southern softie, loves this part of the world, so a pair of green wellies, a waxed jacket and some egg laying chickens are on the cards for her next birthday.

Both the girls wanted a white wine so I chose a white Grenache Blanc from France and when it came to the table Jan looked closely at the bottle and said, "you'll never guess where this is from. It's made by Mas Montel, in Aspere, not more than 15 minutes from our house."

Anyway, Jan spent a long time reading through the huge, delicious blackboard menu with mum. They were there for what seemed like ages with Jan patiently explaining the menu in detail. After about fifteen minutes Jan finished and then, after another five minutes, mum said in a crestfallen voice, "so they don't have any liver then?" We both fell about. Bless.

1 comment:

mpprh said...

And the Black Sheep is available in Hyper U : http://the-languedoc-page.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3427 !

Peter