Sunday, April 05, 2009

Flying vegetables


I've never been one to bang on about global warming and all that good stuff. Others seem to know better, but frankly I remain sceptical about lots of the propaganda put out by no doubt worthy souls. What I believe is that the world changes and has been changing for millions of years. The climate goes through cycles and animals become extinct and we find new and presumed lost species, all the time. It's doubtful that man's campfires made the dinosaurs extinct.

But, if I was for one second going to subscribe to the latest ideas about global warming then I would have to ask people to stop buying some stuff from overseas. Flying vegetables half way round the world is just plain stupid.

This evening we ate asparagus from Mexico and broad beans from Guatemala. They were both delicious, but even my pea brain can figure out that that can't be right. Flying either of these vegetables half way round the world can't be very eco (whatever that is). What's wrong with seasonal stuff that's grown locally? When I was a kid, broad beans were grown by my father in the back garden. They were horrible and I've never really been a fan. We never ate asparagus and we managed just fine. How stupid are we getting?

No comments: