Sunday, March 29, 2009

They're fine when they work


Jan's computer is overloaded with rubbish (the electronics equivalent of the ashtrays are full) and I've been struggling to put it right. What it really needs is taking back to the metal and a fresh re-install of Windows but I can't find the original Windows XP disc. With it I could do some good, despite the fact that I'd have to spend hours updating all the software and reinstalling all her programmes. These things never run smoothly and whilst I have a fair idea about what I'm doing it's when you meet an exception that can make it tricky. Do you turn left or right?

Anyway, I tried System Restore yesterday and you know what, it works. I restored back a few weeks and undid a lot of crud and got it working smoothly again. At least it's now in a state where I can instigate some repairs. Bloody computers. And before you say it Chris, I can't afford a Mac.

2 comments:

Sandy said...

Yes...Mac's are very good computers. You are computer savvy....I am surprised!lol

cdw said...

Hi Alex,

I bought a MacBook Air a few weeks ago and now it won't boot. This, after the sales assistant assured me they, unlike Windows, never go wrong. Doh!