Friday, March 20, 2009

Please Sir, I have to get 6

I was taught at a Jesuit College in Leeds and we were subjected to corporal punishment. For a serious transgression, we were whacked on the hand with a 'ferula' by a rather nice priest who always laughed and joked with you when you went to his office for your punishment.
The ferula was administered in 'threes', so you had to get three, six, nine or twelve. The higher numbers were absolutely stupid because once you'd had six your hands were totally numb and you couldn't feel any more after that.
Reading this article has made me think about starting a class action for physical abuse. I can't say that I suffered sexual abuse but there one or two dodgy priests (one priest we called Sister Mary Edwards) and pupils so you always had to be careful picking up the soap off the floor in the showers.
Despite the punishment, I look back at my time there with affection. I got a good education, had a great laugh and made some long lasting friendships. Not only did they gave me a good education but the thing for which I will always be grateful is that they taught me to 'think'. Unfortunately that is why I'm now an atheist, so in that respect they failed.
I have many fond memories of school. This one come to mind. We were in a physics lesson being taught by the same priest who gave us religious instruction. Being a bunch of smartasses we were always trying to trap the priest with silly questions. Anyway, we were talking about the speed of light or some such when one wag put his hand up and said, 'Please sir can you tell us at what speed Our Lady ascended into heaven?'

No comments: