Tuesday, February 10, 2009

What to do now?


Ouch. The lads came out for tennis yesterday and William and I were thumped. Despite a glorious, warm, sunny day we (the good guys) lost both sets. We couldn't do anything right or, more to the point, whatever we did they did something better. I can't remember the last time we lost both sets. We occasionally lose one, but never two. It didn't help that I only won one service game. I tried everything, but whatever I did the ball came back with that bit extra. Good on them I say. They wanted it more than we did. We just didn't concentrate enough. At one point, during a point, I caught William checking his racquet and wondering what tension to have his strings at. Still, it was a nice day, we didn't start until 11.00, enough time for the sun to get up and warm the place up a bit.

The thought did occur to me at one time that now that I'm much older and fatter maybe I should take up a much more genteel sport. When all said and done your heart is only good for so many beats. Everything wears out eventually. Speeding up your heart will not make you live longer, that's like saying you can extend the life of your car by driving it harder and faster. If you want to live longer I think you should take a nap or at the most do something that involves a gentle stroll in the country. A sport more suited to men of more advanced years. An older man's sport. Maybe, something like golf? (You might get a rise out of them this time - Ed)

3 comments:

Chris said...

"... maybe I should take up a much more gentile sport."
Tennis is a Jewish game?

Alex said...

Oops! Now fixed, thanks.

Unknown said...

Real men play both... and coach football... and drink for England

All that French living made you soft...