Monday, February 09, 2009

They cost what?

It all started when I got my eyes checked a few months back. My regular supplier of lenses told me that the lenses I was using were discontinued and were now called x. I took their word for it and mentioned this to the opthalmologist. With a flick of her hand she dismissed the change and said they're all the same, just repackaged.
Anyway, when I saw an advert for new lenses in an inflight magazine I was encouraged to try them out. So I did, and they're great. Which then got me thinking about how much we take for granted and the profits that some companies make. I have always banged on about supermarkets, never mind banks. When Tesco first made a billion pounds profit my first thought was we must be paying too much for our food. Lots of commentators were praising them for their business acumen, which is no doubt correct, but nobody stopped to say, 'hang on, they're making this much profit from what we pay them, and what we pay might just be a bit too much.'
So it is with my contact lenses. If I want to stay with my previous lenses it will cost 135 Euros for 6 months supply. The new ones from Daysoft will cost 84 Euros. That's a hell of a saving and I don't suppose that Daysoft are giving them away.

No comments: