Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Lost in translation



As we returned home tonight we met Alain the artist (above) and invited him back for a drink. Not only do we think that he's a talented artist but he has also been a good friend and source of information for us over the years.


Anyway, we're chatting to him over a glass (or two) of Coste Plane rosé when he said that he'd tasted a nice rosé from Iraq the other day. I nearly fell off my stool. 'Bloody hell', I said, 'I had no idea that they made wine in Iraq.' I said that I'd tasted wine in Tunisia (not quite the same - Ed) but I was surprised that an Islamist state such as Iraq allowed wine to be produced.


As I ranted on (bearing in mind that we'd had a few by then) Alain looked really puzzled and then the penny finally dropped. He said, 'I'm not talking about Iraq but Lirac.'

No comments: