Thursday, December 04, 2008

Le Cheval Blanc, Nimes


We went to Nimes yesterday for various bits and pieces, and whilst we were there we decided to check out Bob's recommendation of Le Cheval Blanc, 1 Place des Arenes, 0466 76 19 59. What a good recommendation.

Unusually for a restaurant in Nimes, it was furnished brasserie style with waiters, who were smart, friendly and professional, to match. In addition to the carte they offered a 14€ and 26€ lunch menu. This is also a wine bar so the wine list was extensive, if not a little pricey, and we chose a Clos des Augustins, Les Gamins 2006 from Pic Saint Loup. In this kind of situation I nearly always chose a local wine because if I like it I can go buy some more. I liked it.

Jan started with a duck terrine which she thought was 'OK' and my artichoke salad was excellent. Next Jan had fish which was very fresh and well cooked and I had a very tender steak. The dauphinoise potatoes were as nice as I've ever had. Thanks Bob for the excellent advice.

On the funny side, as I was scribbling my notes about the meal, Michel who called himself "the boss of the place" came over, bypassing all the other tables, and introduced himself. He could at least have knocked something off the bill!

No comments: