Thursday, June 26, 2008

A great restaurant find


Bryan (above left - I'm starting to get worried about him) and I were out doing boys things this morning and decided to treat ourselves to lunch. The bloody women do it all the time, so why not the boys? What an excellent meal we had. If you live in or near Sommieres you have got to try this place.

Brasserie La Farigoule, 4, Imp de la Malautière, 30250 Sommieres, 0466 355659, is not the sort of place you take a girl to on a first date. It sits between the Renault Garage (where they're doing a great offer on servicing your air con, this month) and BNP Paribas (where they don't do great offers on anything), facing the car park outside Intermarché. Useful if you need an ATM, need to get your car fixed or haven't yet done the weekly shop. But I digress.

Jan, Bryan and I had a beer there the other day and the food that they brought out looked good. Let's try it said the ever hungry Bryan. OK, said the even ever hungrier me. The 14 euros lunch menu took our fancy (that and the table of lovelies next to us) and what a good choice it was.

It's difficult to get worked up about melon and ham (the starter) but this was excellent. The chef was trying hard with good ingredients, his presentation and it worked. The large pork chop that followed was perfectly cooked and covered with a beautiful mushroom sauce. Bryan waxed lyrical about the cauliflower cheese whilst I waxed lyrical about the ever growing table of lovelies next to us. (For goodness sake calm down - Ed) For pud we had a lovely, fresh tasting, strawberry fool. It was, without question, the best meal of its type that I have ever had in France. Wow, I can't believe I said that. They are trying hard and I am going to support them.

Monsieur showed us around inside (he realised that I was an important person) and it is much bigger than you first imagine. It was air conditioned and arguably inside would have been a better choice than the carbon monoxide poisoning outside, had it not been for the fact that there was a table of lovelies sitting outside. Did I mention that before?

They open in the evening on Friday and Saturday and I'm definitely going to try them at that time. If the dinner is anywhere near as good as the lunch then I'm in for a treat. Highly recommended.

1 comment:

mpprh said...

Hi

I've got as far as the beer (or three) too, but not eaten there yet.

Post this chez moi ?

Peter