Thursday, April 24, 2008

A potent brew

With one short sharp thrust, summer has hit with a vengeance. The daytime temperature hit 25C today so I uncovered the pool. Bryan had previously worried me with stories about several pools that he had recently seen where the water had turned dark green but when we uncovered ours it was still in good order. I'd been keeping an eye on the water temperature even though the pool was covered because as everybody knows, algae doesn't grow below 12C. Ours had got to 14C so I suspect that we opened it up just in time. Now the fun hard work begins, because even though it has a cover, which we installed as a safety measure, dirt will still pass through into the pool because of the small mesh in the cover which prevents water accumulating.

I hope you're paying attention because I'm not going to say this again!

As I've got older, wiser but more to the point lazier, I worry less about maintaining healthy, balanced water and make up a chemical cocktail that kills all known germs and some that haven't been discovered yet. So much so that I recommend swimming in a full deep sea divers outfit as long as you understand that my 'special brew' will take the first layer of paint off any protective clothing.

Enjoy your swim!

No comments: