Sunday, March 02, 2008

The Devil rides out


So the conversation goes like this.

Me: Hi Mum, Happy Mother's Day.

Mum: I felt the earthquake last week.

Me: Oh, I'm sorry . I didn't think you'd really be affected.

Mum: Just as I was going to sleep there was a huge roar and my bed shook.

Me: Oh, I am sorry (this was my caring female side coming out).

Mum: I was quite frightened.

Me: I bet you were.
Mum: I had no idea what it was and didn't understand until I saw the news the next day.

Me: Didn't you think that it might have been an earth tremor?

Mum: No. Much worse than that.

Me: What's worse than an earthquake mum?

Mum: The Devil.

Me: Oh mum please. Surely you didn't think it was the Devil?

Mum: I think about the Devil a lot.

Me: Aren't there more problems to deal with without thinking about the Devil?

Mum: You just don't believe.

Me: You're damn right I don't believe but more to the point I'd have considered that it was an earthquake before thinking that it might be the devil.

Mum: You'll see one day (she obviously thinks that I'm going to hell!)

Me: When was the last time the Devil appeared on earth?
Mum: People get possessed by the Devil.

Me: Exactly who?

Mum: There's no point in talking to you...........


Anyway, I told her not to worry, that I loved her and that I would see her soon. I could argue that religion has a lot to answer for.

No comments: