Saturday, March 15, 2008

Beware the Ides of March



I didn't se leve tot this morning. In fact I didn't wake until 09.59. That's very unusual for me, but as it has happened a couple of time recently it made me wonder if it's age related. I thought that as you get older you sleep less but it looks like it may be the reverse for me. When you add to that, that I'm also now being treated for glaucoma, I'm starting to feel old. Bloody hell I'm falling to bits. It reminded me of this advert I saw a long time ago begging for money to help treat third world glaucoma. Bloody hell, now I'm a third world problem. I keep telling Jan that I'm not well, but does she listen? I usually mention this just before I want something fetching, but does she listen?

Anyway, it's Saturday so I dragged my crumbling body off to Sommieres to drown my sorrows. Bryan and Peter, as usual, were already there and doing a good job of drowning theirs. I joined them.

Peter, who has had a blood pressure problem recently, was whinging, as he supped his beer, that he was starting to put weight on after he had stopped smoking. Bryan, on the other hand, was complaining that nobody loved him until I pointed out that maybe it was because he was wearing a stupid hat. Me, I was the only one with genuine cause for concern.
***

This article about French students was interesting and more so because it was centred on university students down the road in Montpellier. Everything I have read or heard tells me that the French school system is good, old fashioned, concentrates on the 3 R's, like when I were a lad (when you were a lad you wrote on tablets of clay - Ed) and without being constantly messed about with as it seems to be in England. But if you look at university students I detect some similarity. Too many university students, on both sides of the Channel, choose soft options and may well be ill prepared for the real world. We shall see.

No comments: