Wednesday, January 02, 2008

More mind games


This was going to be a close run thing. After a good nights sleep, we tanked up with diesel and my friend Tom told me that we had a journey of 827 kilometres. I'm sure that I've never had 800 kms out of a tank so it was going to be interesting. I mentioned this to Jan and she flashed me an evil stare, which said a lot. My beloved has the patience of Job (she needs it living with you - Ed) and panders to most of my little idiosyncrasies (surely you mean idiocies? - Ed).

Just north of Reims we saw the sun for the first time in two weeks and I started to think about what we would eat that evening (assuming we made it - just kidding) . A big lunch was probably the best thing to get because Jan would not feel like cooking when (or if) we arrived home. I mentioned this to my beloved who said, "I'll be happy to cook an omelette tonight."
Well, you could have knocked me over. I was thinking about an omelette as well! More and more we think alike. It's amazing how often we think about the same things. With one notable exception!

Well, we did it. We had driven just over 800 kms when we stopped to buy a few essentials just outside of Nimes. I suggested to Jan that we try and finish the last bit without filling up, but she lunged at me with a knife and so I decided not to press the point. I filled up the tank, and was able to calculate that we had just enough petrol left to get us all the way home. Some might call it crazy but I see it as a modern day adventure.

No comments: