Sunday, November 04, 2007

No hiding place


Having worked in the consumer finance industry for over 45 years I gained a certain amount of experience of tracing people. The other day William gave me a wallet, which had been found by the side of the road, in the village, for an obviously Scottish person. There was no cash, surprise, surprise but several credit cards and more importantly a UK photo driving licence. My initial thought was that it had been lost by one of our recent wedding guests so I emailed James. The reply was negative. William, who knows most of what happens in the village, wasn't aware of anybody who fitted the description so what to do? Well the obvious thing was to check the home address on the licence. Using the online phone number finder from BT I got a reasonably close match and phoned and left a message. Within the hour Euan called back and said that his hire car had been stolen from the front of a relative's house in the nearby village of Combas last July. The cards had all been stopped and duplicates issued (bum and there I was thinking of a little holiday somewhere) so after a friendly chat we agreed that I should destroy the cards and I decided to put a trip to Thailand out of my mind.

No comments: