Thursday, August 09, 2007

Soirée Festive


Late yesterday afternoon we popped to Chateau Puech Haut to buy some wine for my son's wedding on 31st August. There will in fact be two weddings. The first, the official wedding, will take place in the Mairie (left above) late on the Friday morning and this wine is for the lunch that follows. Because the Mairie only holds about 30 people, we will then have a second wedding, on 1st September, with a much bigger group of guests. This will take place in the temple (right above) next door. It's a neat solution to the problem of the small room in the Mairie and was suggested by William. He can perform the second ceremony because J&P will already be married. I hope you're paying attention.

***

We usually have two village gatherings in August and last night was the first. Une Soiree Festive sous les Tonnelles started at 19.30 with Les Toqués a funny act, that we unfortunately failed to see, because we popped into the Lloyds for pre-drink drinks.
The format was a little different to previous years, in that this time we were provided with plates and knives and forks, which was just as well because we had forgotten to bring ours. The paella was professionally made from a van, and the wine was not sold at cave prices. Personally, I didn't enjoy the food (but you ate it all, you pig - Ed.) and charging nearly twice as much for the wine as you can buy it direct, seemed a bit cheeky. It was also very cold, but when I went inside to warm up, I got involved in washing up. My rose coloured glasses were working well that night because, seeing a few plates in the sink, Mr Macho here charged in but hadn't counted on having to wash 130 plates, 130 cutlery sets, 130 glasses and then a whole bunch of other plates and jugs. An hour later, when my beloved and all our friends had long gone home, I staggered back, not a particularly happy bunny, but knowing that I'd get my reward at some other time and some other place.


***


Today, I had yet another inspiring trip to Marseille to return Luke and Lydia and then didn't do much for the rest of the day. That's more like it!

2 comments:

Rosemary in Utah said...

Bouquets to you and yours!
I'll enjoy the whole thing from Salt Lake City.

MrsJ said...

Thank goodness you mentioned taking plates and cutlery in your post - we always forget to take them every year!

I think (?) they are provided for our commune 'do' tomorrow night, but they certainly are not for our village 'do' next saturday!

So will be thinking of you when we are eating off our own picnic set for the first time .......