Thursday, June 14, 2007

Living in a vegetative state


An interesting thing happened today. William rang from the Mairie to say that our neighbours were about to have their electricity cut off. I called X, (Glyn, I hope you appreciate that I haven't mentioned your name) to try and sort it out. X mentioned that he had had problems trying to pay them (oh yeah) and could I help him out. Now nothing gives me more pleasure than going to see Michelle, Williams admin assistant, because she is very attractive and always greets me very warmly. Anyway, she told me what to do, and after a quick trip to the Post Office and 200 euros lighter, I wrote to X thanking him for the opportunity to spend my hard earned cash on his behalf, but more importantly for the opportunity to pop to see Michelle.
Joking apart, what was really interesting was that EDF advised the Marie that electricity was about to be disconnected. Presumably as a safe guard against freezing someone to death.

***

Out to lunch today with a bunch of people at Mas de Roux. It's our second favourite local resto and Jerome who owns it and runs front of house is very nice. Anyway, last time we were there he pronounced the name of the restaurant as Mas de Roox. I have always pronounced it as Mas de Roo. When questioned, he said that that was the local pronunciation and only Parisians pronounced it Roo. Bloody hell, you don't need to associated with Parisians around here!

***

Last night, Jan and I were sitting in the living room and I said to her, "I never want to live in a vegetative state, dependent on some machine and fluids from a bottle. If that ever happens, just pull the plug." She got up, unplugged the TV, and then threw my beer out of the window.

No comments: