Friday, June 22, 2007

Everyone's out to get me


We hadn't played as a four for some weeks but the lads turned up for tennis this morning and, for the first time ever, the 'youngsters' won both sets. I played like a donkey and was the main cause of our loss. Roll on Monday, I need revenge.

***

Determined to upgrade my computer, so that I could watch video clips properly, I installed a new graphics card yesterday afternoon. Whilst I was in the box, I also added another 512 meg of memory and gave the box a good clean out. A clean out that involved blowing gunge away from the fans and hoovering all the rest. Fingers crossed that there was no damage done. The moment of truth came and, bang, it all worked. The memory and new graphics card were recognised but, and it's a big but, I still had jerky video. But that wasn't everything. The computer then failed to recognise the keyboard. It thinks the keyboard is a mouse and advised me that my mouse didn't work properly. Despite already having a functioning mouse and shouting, "Of course the mouse doesn't work properly, it's a bloody keyboard," it failed to respond. The dogs are bad enough to keep under control, but a dumb, insolent computer drives me wild.

***

Anyway, Glyn came round for a drink late tonight, having spent all day with his 'boys' canoeing in the Ardeche. The 'boys' comprise Glyn's son Tom and three mates on an end of term treat. It turns out that one of the boys got into trouble whilst swimming in the river and shouted for help as he went under. He was rescued safely but the incident gave Glyn a shock. As he said, " Going home with only three of the boys would not have been a good idea." It put my computer problems into perspective.

No comments: