Sunday, June 24, 2007

Chez Ju Ju revisited



Mum is coming to the end of her stay, so as a treat we took her to Chez Ju Ju over near Salin-de-Giraud in the Camargues. Lots of people ask me for directions to this place, mostly as a result of people searching for the restaurant on Google and finding my comments, so, to save (mostly me) a bit of bother, here's how to get there.
Take the D36 south from Arles towards Salin-de-Giraud. About a kilometre before you enter Salin, turn right onto the D36C and you will find the resto after about 5 minutes on the right. Tel 0442 86 83 86. The web site above also has directions.
That's it, from now on if you ask me I'll take you there, and you pay for dinner.
So why do we like Chez Ju Ju so much? There are several reasons. Firstly, they cook the freshest fish, perfectly, in a wood burning oven right next to where you sit. Even though we live quite close to the sea, it is extraordinarily difficult to find simply cooked fresh fish anywhere near where we live. I suspect that there must be a resto but we haven't found it, yet. Secondly, the ambiance is great. You can sit outside, by a pond with ducks, under an awning that gives dappled shade. Thirdly, they cook tellines, as a starter, in a wonderful homemade aioli. Fourthly, whilst he doesn't know me from Adam, he recognised us as the 'five' that had booked under the name of Alex, so he called me Alex, asked how I was, and so now, whilst he doesn't realise it, 'Manu' and I are now great buddies.
The top picture is one of William (just after he learnt that he was paying) and Christine, the other of Mum and Jan.

***

Just in case we hadn't eaten quite enough fish today, Jan made me BBQ some enormous black tiger prawns for supper! When I questioned her menu planning, Jan responded with the blindingly obvious comment that they were supposed to have been cooked on Friday but because we went out, we had to either eat them today or chuck em. That shut me up (about bloody time too - Ed)!

No comments: