Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Customer service, French style



It's still only May and the temperature hit 33C this afternoon. The hottest day of the year so far. I poured with sweat just thinking about work! (So nothing new there then! - Ed)

***

OK, my favourite topic, customer service. I arrived at the dentist five minutes before my appointment. She (the dentist) is chatting away to someone in the surgery, almost certainly a sales rep. I know this because I'm sitting on the other side of the door and neither of them stop talking. She is definitely not climbing in and out of his mouth. Twenty five minutes later the next patient comes in and she is now running late for this person as well. Look, I don't mind running late if an emergency has to be squeezed in but I take big objection, having made an appointment, to having to wait 25 minutes because of some inconsiderate chin wag. It was similar in Nimes this morning. We are sitting in the doctors waiting room and two women start to chat right in the doorway. People come and go and they have to excuse themselves each time in order to get passed. One woman is the more dominant and eventually her friend, who looks to have a little bit more savvy, suggests that they sit down out of the way. This behaviour is something that I see a lot. Take supermarkets for example. I can't tell you how many times I have had to move a shopping trolley because some inconsiderate soul has gone off down the aisles and left their trolley blocking a passage. Instead of getting out more, maybe I need to stay in more?

No comments: