Friday, March 16, 2007

Man with an appetite


Last night we were in mum’s room picking her up on the way to dinner. She wasn’t wearing her hearing aid. Jan, who was out on the balcony, said to her, “this is a nice flower, what is it? Mum stared at the wall and the flower because she couldn’t hear what Jan was saying and Jan had to repeat her question several times. Getting irritated because there was only one wall and one flower I said:

Me: Mum, why don’t you put your hearing aid in?
Mum: What flower?
Me: Mum please put your hearing aid in.

So she picked it up and put it in her bag. I don’t know why, but she doesn’t like wearing it (I suspect that it over amplifies sound) and when she carries it in her hand or puts it in her handbag it lets out a howling screech, which of course she can’t hear. Anyway, we got in the lift to go downstairs, accompanied by a young couple. Mum’s hearing aid, still in her handbag, is letting out this wild howling screech. The young couple looked around unable to fathom out where the noise was coming from and were getting very nervous. Jan and I could hardly contain our laughter, whilst mum is oblivious to everything. When we got to the ground floor the young couple shot out of the lift and disappeared quickly into the distance. I made mum put the hearing aid in and explained to her that she was frightening people! She was somewhat bemused. It was very, very funny.


***


We only have three days left and I’m struggling with the food. I approach every meal with a full stomach but I can’t say no. I eat less food and healthier food at each sitting but nothing seems to work. (You could always try eating no food, you dummy – Ed) As a treat Jan has promised me a curry when we get back to France but I still can’t figure out how this is supposed to help. Anyway, I’ll soldier bravely on and buy some bigger pants when I get home. All my good work over winter undone by a few days in a hotel. Bum.


***


Talking about winter, I got an email, from the weather site that I use, predicting (nay insisting) that strong cold northerly winds, ice and some snow would arrive at home next week. Looks like we chose the wrong week to be away!

No comments: