Thursday, March 15, 2007

Everything on a grand scale


Everything about this hotel is done on a grand scale. I suspect that they've used American architects because it reminds me so much of a hotel I used to stay at in Newport Beach, California and several others in the States as well. The atrium is huge with lots of greenery hanging from each of the seven floors above. I love big beds, big walk in showers, I love (and need - Ed) lots of space. This place has it. Take dinner last night, it was ‘Italian Night’ again. I was hoping that they’d move onto something more esoteric like Korea, where they eat dog, or Australia where they eat the witchety grub. Yum, yum. Anyway, the food here is good. Some things are very good and some things I just pass on. They offer a very wide choice and there is always something for everybody. Through an alcoholic maze, last night, I put together the menu choices which, I'm sure, is not an exhaustive list. For starters they had carpaccio of swordfish, carpaccio of salmon, and my favourite carpacchio of beef. Additionally they had bresaola, mortadella, avocado, fish cocktail and salads. A huge scooped out Parmesan cheese, three soups, melon and pate. For the second course they had, pasta (two sauces), spinach lasagna, ravioli and cannelloni. For the main course, a huge vegetarian selection, a whole baked salmon, fillet steak cooked in front of you, tuna in sauce, hake in sauce, veal escalopes in a Marsala sauce, turkey breast in more bloody sauce, beef stew and for the really adventurous, hamburgers and hot dogs. For pudding a wide selection of fresh fruit, cakes, ice cream, yogurts etc. You name they’ve got it. And to top it all you can go back as often as you like. It's a real challenge, but I soldier manfully on!

***

OK, a bit more about the hotel guests. Some old gal (Danish I think) had a go at my little old mum for lying on 'her' sunbed yesterday. Pity I wasn't there. That would have been fun. There are a wide variety of guests both young and old and with enough yummy mummies to keep even the most saintly of us interested. Today an elderly German couple came and took beds next to us. She was fully dressed and commanded operations whilst he changed their beds and bedding around. He was wearing camoflage gear (I can only suppose that he wanted to be ready for anything) and followed her instructions to the letter. She then disappeared never to be seen again, probably to plot the next invasion.
As I write this, two dusky maidens (above) have started a fashion show, dressing and undressing in time to some good music. Must go, because they might have something suitable for me. It's a good place this.

***

Getting fed up watching these two girls prance around I told Jan that I would go and grab a table for lunch. My mistake here was to assume that as soon as the fashion show was over that that would be it. I'd been sitting at the table for twenty minutes and the waiter kept hovering, wanting to take my order. I apologised, rolled my eyes heavenwards and explained that I was waiting for the women in my life and that they were in the process of trying clothes on. He laughed his head off, immediately understood my frustration and told me that he would go and get my wine. He even knew what I wanted. The staff here are good!

No comments: