Monday, December 25, 2006

To Queen or not to Queen


Let me first state that I'm generally in favour of the monarchy. I can't defend power, or rule, through an accident of birth, but when you look at how long the Queen has performed her duties as Head of State (over 50 years) and try to compare that with any equivalent presidential type head of state, then her record looks very good. Jan, on the other hand, is an avowed republican. But, and it's a big but, the Queen does seem at times to be out of tune with the public. This morning's news that the Queen's speech would be available as a podcast is a good example of that. I may be wrong, but in my opinion the average age of pod casters is likely to be around 15/20 years old and I may also be wrong when I think that the last thing that any 15/20 years old would be interested in, would be the Queen's speech. It's an inappropriate gesture. Get real Betty. Or, more to the point, stop listening to those around you who are also patently out of touch.


***

If you want to get away from it all and spoil yourself for a few moments visit Reindeer Tipping.

No comments: