Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Saddle sore


We left Brighton yesterday at around 11.00 and headed for the Channel Tunnel. It was blowing a gale, and hell would freeze over before I would get on a boat, so we ignored our pre-booked catamaran crossing with Speed Ferries. After landing in France at 16.00 local time we decided to see if we could make the journey to Languedoc in one hop, and skip the night in a hotel. When I was younger I thought nothing of driving through the night, but I'm a little older now (you don't say - Ed.), so this was an unusual experiment. As it happens, it was quite straightforward and despite missing an important motorway interchange, which added about 1.5 hours to the journey, we arrived home at 3.00 in the morning. In order to keep alert, we both drank a few cans of Blak (Coke's new caffeine drink) which actually seemed to work. I was amazed at how fresh I felt after 15 hours in the saddle. There must be a Roy Rogers joke there somewhere?


***

The best part of today was spent unpacking, getting things back to normal in the house and picking up two rather smelly dogs. Joy.

No comments: