Sunday, August 20, 2006

Plums and figs



The Warrens left this morning at 06.30. The journey down from Calais took 18 hours last weekend and they have allowed 13.5 hours to get back. It should be enough as long as the traffic isn't too bad. We shall see, but rather them than me!

***

The fig tree has lots of fruit this year and of a reasonable size, but the plums are a little disappointing. We only gathered one bowl of plums, but two bowls of figs with lots more to pick. I can see that we will be all figged out in a couple of weeks time. Still, a nice problem to deal with.
***

Out for dinner at La Pousaranque last night, half way between Quissac ans Sauve. It's very rare for me to criticise a restaurant because, if I don't like one, I usually make no comment at all, but this restaurant, which used to be good, has noticeably gone down hill since we last visited. The menu has dropped in price (now at 15 or 19 euros) and the food offered was not up to the previous standards. I was sitting next to the kitchen window and I didn't feel that there was much cooking going on. My smoke salmon was fatty and of low quality, my beef was tough and my chocolate mousse was made several days earlier. The mostly local wine was reasonably priced. Not recommended.

No comments: