Sunday, August 27, 2006

Never let a woman buy a bath plug














You may think that the above is quite a misogynistic statement but let me explain why I made it. We have our two grandchildren coming out next week and we know that they have a nightly bath. The fancy plug in our bath does not work very well (look here for a very smart new plug), and remembering this, I suggested that we buy an old fashioned bath plug. Simple you would think, so I left my beloved to organise it. She takes her measurements and off we go. We eventually find bath plugs at the droguerie in Quissac; you'd be amazed at how few shops stock them.

"That's the one," she says, "it's 4 centimetres. I measured it."
"Mnnnn, looks a bit small to me," I said.
Jan gives me a withering look, like I'm on early release from a happy farm, "I've measured it and that's the one."
Trying to impose my will, I take a look on the back of the packet and point out that it says that it is 3 centimetres. In fact I take a look at the back of all the other sizes (being a bloke you do these things) and they all say 3 centimetres.
"Look," I said, "why don't we buy the larger one as well," because being a bloke I have already reckoned that the cost of coming back to the shop is more than the cost of the larger plug and we can always give one of them to someone for a Christmas present. Smart us blokes!
"No, that's fine, let's go," she said.
We got home and you can guess the rest, but suffice to say that Jan's last words were, "you couldn't wait to try it just to prove that I was wrong!" Actually that is not at all what I was thinking, but it will be the next time!


***

They don't like Parisians in this part of the world. Whenever I ask why, you always get the answers arrogant and rude. You know what's strange, I've started to try to find fault with them as well? What's even stranger is that with the exception of several trips to Paris, I don't think that I've ever spoken to one. Is this how racial bigotry starts? I now find myself looking out for Parisian cars (75 plates), of which there are plenty at this time of the year, and looking for faults in their driving or manners. Talking to Chris Ward (author, journalist and more recently chef) the other night, he said that the Parisians are without doubt the rudest, most arrogant and aggressive of all their diners. I don't feel comfortable with my attitude to all this because I have never experienced any problem, but I know several who have. Where there's smoke?


***

No doubt dreaming of the green, green grass of home, Jan cooked a traditional Sunday lamb roast with all the bits. The traditional theme spoilt only by eating figs, that we picked this afternoon, for pudding. Still, can't complain.

No comments: