Friday, August 11, 2006

Les Delices du Liban


I know this sounds strange, but it's getting colder. The midday temperature has reduced from an average of 34 C to 30 C, but it feels quite cool (let me get this right, the temperature has dropped so it feels cooler! This kind of discovery puts you on a par with Copernicus, Newton and Einstein - Ed.). When I mentioned this to Jan over breakfast (poached eggs, one of my favourites) she replied glumly that I shouldn't mention the temperature, because it reminds her that winter is coming. I should have realised that she was feeling cold because we had soup for lunch for the last two days. There's no pleasing some people. Anyway, because the wind has died down a bit, I decided to have another go at spraying the weeds. I use Roundup as my poison of choice but even that stuff struggles with some of the weeds that grow around here. I need something with a bit of a 'nuclear' kick. There you go, that's something terrorists could usefully do, obliterate western weeds (you qualify under that description - Ed.).


***

On Monday I ranted on about the UN and this article just confirms what I was saying. It is now Friday and these highly paid world statesmen continue to score points over each other and have achieved absolutely nothing. Hezbollah continues to pour rockets into Israel and Israel continues trying to flatten southern Lebanon. And the cause of the latest hold up to some form of agreement? Why, no other than the Lebanese government. What a crazy world we live in.


***

Talking about Lebanon, it has been pointed out (by Peter H) that the correct spelling for the Lebanese resto/bar in Sommieres is Les Delices du Liban. I am very happy to put this right. I'm also very happy to provide a map showing how to get to Sommieres. Looking at the website, I notice that he is open most evenings for food. That's got to be worth a try.
Aren't you impressed in my ability to intertwine world affairs and food? (Such literary skills! - Ed.)

No comments: