Monday, July 31, 2006

A pepperoni elastic loaf and easy on the elastic


Jan with the Lloyds. From left to right, Tom, Jan, Glyn, Gill, Katie and parents Edith and Terry, enjoying an apero before dinner last night.



***

I have always been amused and dismissive of the French habit of trying to keep their language 'pure', especially from the invasion of English words. They even have an academy that oversees all of this. Language is a living thing, constantly changing and evolving and attempts to keep out foreign words or let new words evolve, is just plain stupid. Anyway, the Iranians are at it as well. This article amused me. The President of Iran, no less, has dictated that from now on pizzas will now be known as elastic loaves. How stupid can you get?



***

Talking about stupid, tourists are thick on the ground at the moment and this appears to be making the locals drive even more stupidly than normal. Every time I venture onto the roads I see an 'incident'. This usually involves an incredibly moronic overtaking manoeuvre. It's a dangerous combination of heat, impatience and an apparent death wish.



***

Like me, they were small but perfectly formed (stop it, I nearly choked - Ed.) but I picked 10 of the tastiest white peaches out of our little orchard today. It was hardly a crop, but was grown with love and tender care (that's it, I choked - Ed.) and offered them to my beloved Jan. Talking about fabulous offers, Will mailed from Vancouver Island and invited us to eat here. That's the kind of friend we all need. And there we were wondering what to do next week.

No comments: