Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Human contraceptives


We now have a routine with Max and Min that seems to work. The major part is thinking ahead, keeping both dogs on a lead when they meet and ensuring that one of them is locked safely in the chenil whilst the other is on the loose. I suppose that you could call us human contraceptives, a bit like wearing two condoms. Next week, when Jan is away, I'm already psyching myself up for a workable, single condom, routine. This week however is the critical week (isn't every week critical for a male? - Ed.) and extra vigilance is called for. It has also occurred to us that if Max can get out of the kennel, when needs must, then he should also be able to get in if Minnie is inside. I'm not sure that he has quite figured that one out yet. Bless! For the first time ever, Minnie did not devour her food the moment she saw it, so I guess that she is not feeling too well or maybe she's a little love sick. I know how she feels; in fact I know how they both feel! (You'd better stop moaning, or all favours will get withdrawn - Ed.)

***

We have more visitors this weekend, so this morning was spent on general maintenance. It isn't easy however as it hit 38 C (100 F) in the shade this lunch time. Simple actions like sitting and thinking make you sweat (and you more than others - Ed.). The best place to be is inside, in a room that is completely sealed against the outside elements. When I used to visit my aunt in Italy, when I was young, I could never understand why the house was so dark and gloomy. Now I understand! Of course the other place to be is in the car with the air con on and so it was we went to Nîmes to buy some bits and pieces. As we are leaving the Ville Activ Jan spots her favourite sweet snack, churros. A deep fried pastry mix, covered in sugar. Not unlike an elongated doughnut. And we worry about our weight! (I was wondering when the penny would drop - Ed.)

***

Back this afternoon for yet another go at the Lloyds pool. I have foolishly promised a crystal clear pool by Sunday, when they arrive, but I'm beginning to panic. 'Pierre the poolman' is confident that it will clear but I'm having my doubts. I have to say that the colour has now changed from an olive brown to a pale green milk so that's an improvement. The only person that I know who used to bathe in milk was Cleopatra and look what happened to her! Mind you, she didn't know 'Pierre the poolman'.

No comments: