Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Toad in the hole in the ground

William and I have started tennis again and at the moment he's 3 - 0 up. For various reasons we didn't play much over winter and I am definitely out of shape. Yesterday he was complaining that he wasn't serving well, and he wasn't, but as the score at the time was 4 games to 2, to him, I didn't feel too sympathetic, and told him so.

***
Our next door neighbour's house is empty most of the time because it is used, on and off, as a summer home and consequently their pool, which is not covered, has turned into a slimy pond by this time of the year. That in itself doesn't affect us, but the noise that comes from it does. The croaking from the toads makes it sound like there is a wild life park next door. Anyway, out of the blue Willi turned up this evening and told me that he was going to get them out of the pool/pond tomorrow. Jan, not the greatest lover of toads and frogs (she seems to like you - Ed.), was very pleased when I told her. It's just as well that I don't tell her what I fish out of ours! As an aside, the French for toad is crapaud but the French for toad-in-the-hole is, morceaux de saucisse cuit au four dans la pâte à crêpe. Just trips off the tongue!
***
It was hot today, over 28C at one point, so it's just as well that I'm giving our pool some attention. Jan is eager to get in and as long as the weather stays fair she will get her wish by the end of the month. Not me guv, it's still way too parky!

No comments: