Monday, March 06, 2006

A short interlude

We left for a week in the UK today. The flight with Ryanair was, as usual, trouble free. Jill and Harry kindly met us at the airport, lent us their car, and we set off on our journey north to Yorkshire. The primary destination was Harrogate where my 81 years old mother lives. She left Italy when she was 22 and has lived in Harrogate ever since.
Whilst I lived in Harrogate for 21 years (it's the sort of place that I wanted to leave when I hit 21 but recognised as very attractive when I got to 40), I spent a lot of my early life in and out of Leeds. At school from age 11, and with my first job as a trainee quantity surveyor. Leeds was our first stop because we had to visit the best fish and chip shop in the world. I've been eating at Bryan's, (6, Weetwood Lane, Leeds, LS16 5LT, 0112 278 5679) for over 35 years and this visit is like revisiting the Holy Grail. I speak with some authority having eaten fish and chips all over England. According to Bill Bryson, the Magpie in Whitby makes the best fish and chips. Jan and I, who followed some of his trail in Notes from a Small Island, disagree. Forget Harry Ramsden, forget the Seashell in London and forget the Magpie. Bryan's is definitely the best. I had baby haddock, 3 fresh, moist, delicious pieces of haddock with chips, deep fried to perfection in beef dripping. None of your low fat, low cal nonsense here. Just pure, honest to goodness heart attack material with an exquisite taste. Recommended.

No comments: