Friday, March 17, 2006

Give us a job mister

I've finally caught up with the backlog of typing for last week's trip. Other than catching up with bits and pieces, not too much happened yesterday.

***

I've mentioned before about antiquated French attitudes to work and how this country needs strong leadership that will move it forward into the 21st century. The present unrest, as mentioned here, is a good example of what I mean. I'm no expert, but I believe that the UK has had the same type of law in existence for over 25 years and doesn't seem to suffer too much. Every time I discuss employment with any of the artisans that I come into contact with, to a man, they mention the high cost of employing people in this country, in terms of social security payments and stringent employment laws that make it very difficult to fire someone who doesn't perform. As a result, you find lots of one man bands, high youth unemployment and negative attitudes. French protests seem inevitably to have a violent side to them and in my eyes makes the protestors look Luddite in the extreme. For a nation that launches space rockets, builds Concorde, designs nice clothes and makes fine wine, I find it all a bit puzzling.

No comments: