Friday, February 10, 2006

Two smelly dogs

This morning we woke to bright sunshine and an arid landscape and it was difficult to imagine that a few hours ago we were standing in snow 'on top of the world'. We never imagined that skiing would be 'on the menu' when we moved here. Nice, nevertheless.

***

It was time for me to have my three monthly blood test, so we went to the usual place in Sommieres. When we first arrived in France, it took some getting used to when we realised that there are lots of separate, independent businesses that perform functions like blood tests and radiology. I presume that you can get the same services if you walk in off the street into a hospital but these local businesses are very convenient. This morning, I walked through the door without an appointment, answered a few questions and had the test done immediately. It was very quick and easy and this system works well in a rural environment. It saved me a longer journey into Nîmes and with no waiting time. It takes pressure off the hospitals, and it's a service that might work in the UK.


***

Anyway, we then shot over to the kennels to pick up 2 very relieved pooches and bring them home. As Jan said yesterday, "it's nice to have a couple of days without them but now I miss them and I want them home". The downside of their sojourn in kennels is that they always return smelling very doggy and we spent some time trying, unsuccessfully, to get them to smell better. Ah well, Jan has to put up with me so a few extra doggy smells aren't too bad.

No comments: