Thursday, February 16, 2006

So who's a misandrist then?

It's been a hectic few days, all centred around the new love of my life, skiing trips to Mont Aigoual. I fixed lessons with Jean-Paul on both Monday and Tuesday, with a view to being proficient enough to go up the green slopes before next week. Next week, because we don't intend to go then, because of the crowds, and if it proves difficult to ski after that, then at least I'd got to a level that would kick start me for next year. My hopes were not high because I didn't feel that I was skiing too confidently, or more to the point, I hadn't learnt to stop!

***

The weather on Monday was beautiful, a good to be alive day, and the lesson went well. We also met Bob and Lynne, who are proficient skiers, at the ski station. B&L, who had just returned themselves from a skiing holiday, very kindly invited us back for a 'Savoyarde' dinner. This comprised raclette and cheese fondue with lots of nice meats and pickles, two delicious puddings (ok, so I had both), and all washed down with several delicious reds. I think that I've said before that B&L are excellent hosts and very kind.

***

I won't bore you with all the negative stuff (and there was lots of it) but most of Tuesday was excellent. Jan, ever the kind loving person, had remembered that it was Valentine's Day and showered me with kindness. I, to my shame, forgot. The very good news was that J-P took us up the mountain for one, very controlled, descent. We did it! Even at my age it's great to feel that you can learn new things. (Bloody hell, and there I was thinking that you knew everything! - Ed.)

***

Wednesday, it poured down, so we spent some time doing little jobs in the house, nursing sore muscles and sitting in front of the fire watching the Olympics. Have you seen the two man luge? Whoever thought of that one could hardly be described as a misandrist. It was interesting to note that a lot of the competitors were related (well, you would be after an experience like that). Very cosy! I wonder how you get to chose who goes on top? Mnnnnn.

No comments: