Thursday, January 26, 2006

When will they ever learn?

What is it with British politicians? I don't consider myself a political animal but I find politics interesting and love observing all its machinations. As long as I've been interested, it appears to me that a politician who blatantly lies about something ultimately gets caught out. Anyone who admits immediately to an indiscretion kills the story and can carry on with their lives. The latest fiasco with the Lib Dems in England is a case in point. First, their leader Charles Kennedy denies being alcoholic, when everyone knows that he has a drink problem, then Mark Oaten is exposed whilst pretending to be a happily married man, and then there's the latest fiasco with Simon Hughes, who I believed to be gay and thought nothing of it. He announced publicly that he wasn't, and I believed him, but now he admits to being gay after all. Whether he was gay or not didn't concern me one jot, but I minded being lied to. What a bunch of donkeys! Three leadership hopefuls all falling by the wayside because they were caught lying. Go back a few years to Paddy Ashdown, who immediately admitted that he'd had an affair, and the 'story' was dead in a matter of days. When will these people ever learn? The press invariably know the truth and will dig and dig, in the face of denial, until they get their scoop. Agree with them immediately and the story then runs out of steam. In the great scheme of things none of their problems were that serious but they made them more serious by public denial. In my opinion, the Lib Dems were becoming more and more electable and could have become a power in UK politics. Now I think they're dead in the water. Stupid.

***

It was a nice afternoon and we decided to stick the dogs in the car and take them for a short ride into the countryside so that they could wander in pastures new. After 10 minutes, we noticed a DFCI (a purpose built fire track) and started to climb up a hill. The views were spectacular and we also passed about 40 or so beehives half way up. What do bees do in winter? There was quite a lot of 'humming' in the surrounding bush but I'd have thought that it was too cold for them. I felt like a little Google and this is the answer. Isn't Google great!

No comments: