Monday, January 02, 2006

But baby it's cold outside

Because I once read that this area offers 300 days of sunshine each year (and I didn't believe it), because it appeals to my neat and tidy mind but, more to the point, because I'm a very sad person, I keep weather statistics. Each day I note five basic bits of weather information and record it. Now that we're in a new year, I have another full year of stats, so put on your best enthralled face and read on. Comparing 2004 and 2005, in that order, the average temperature was 19.4 and 19.5, however 2005 would have been higher had it not been for an unusually cold December. The number of 'warm' days were also similar at 265 and 256 but there were more 'sunny' days at 240 and 259. If you think 2004 was dry then 2005 was even drier with 24 days against 19 days of rain and significantly, it was a lot less windy with 178 days compared to 120 days this year. Goodness knows what you will do with this information, or me for that matter, but digest and enjoy!


***

William came round at 14.00 as arranged and despite my earlier prognosis, the wind had got up and was making things difficult. Notwithstanding the wind, he played a steady game and adapted to the conditions much more quickly than I did. He beat me 6-3. Bum.


***

Last night the fireplace started to play up and the house filled with smoke again. There was a slight wind from the west and it was quite a bit warmer but I'm not sure how that would cause it. We've been here before, and it's starting to piss me off, especially as I as was beginning to think that we'd fixed it! Tonight it started to smoke again but quickly stopped. It was much windier outside. I wish I could identify some consistent characteristics.

***

I see the nutritionist on Thursday and, at my request, Jan prepared a vegetable stir-fry for dinner. I've no idea how I'll lose the kilo that I've put on over Christmas so it looks like I'm in for an ear bashing. With the amount of Christmas cake that I've been eating it's a wonder that it's only a kilo but I don't think that I can use that in mitigation. I do like Christmas cake! (And mince pies, you deluded fool - Ed.)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Come on Alex - you can't keep letting William beat you... there's national pride at stake and all that... Tails