Monday, December 05, 2005

The doggy tales, start here. Sorry!

I'm too old to be a father again! We are both awake at 05.00, because when I got up for a middle of the night walk, I disturbed the little one, who was sleeping peacefully. No amount of effort could get her to settle, so I took her outside for a wee. That was the first mistake of the day, because then she was really awake and that made the chance of more sleep very remote. She prowled and howled and actually wet her bed, Minnie that is, not Jan, so she was even less inclined to get back to sleep.
Later, during the morning, I went to fetch Max from kennels and then spent the rest of the time baby sitting them both, whilst Jan went to her art class. As it happens, after initial nervousness on Minnie's part, both Max and her get on well, so that I can chop some wood and complete other mundane tasks whilst they play happily in the warm sunshine. It's a little worrying watching Max clamp his jaws around her head, and you keep your fingers crossed that he's not his usual clumsy self. If I take Minnie back in bits, I don't think that I'd get a refund. So far, so good.


***

Well, Lordy, Lordy, who should show up this morning but the electrician. The same electrician who promised last April, to start some work here last June. When we first moved in, we listened to all the stories about the manana attitude of artisans, but at that time our experience wasn't too bad. Having now been here for over 3 years, I have to say that the stories are true. There are too few skilled tradesmen, and too much demand for their services. Anyway, today must be my lucky day, and you know what you get when it's your lucky day! (Dream on - Ed.)

***

Tonight Jill and Harry came for dinner (yes, I know we have just seen them in the UK, but they're out for a flying visit to put their house to bed until January) and Jan cooked some interesting dishes. To start we had spiced pears with a cheese and sweet walnut dressing, a sort of Chicken Maryland (stuffed with banana) with sweetcorn and beans, and to finish, pancakes with a Grand Marnier sauce. I very much liked the starter and pudding, but the main course needs some work. The chicken was good, but the sweetcorn and beans needed spicing up. (You still ate it all! - Ed.)

No comments: