Friday, October 07, 2005

Let's have another strike, mes amis

A few days ago I heard of yet another French national strike. I say heard of, because it didn't affect me one jot, but I know it affected thousands of other people. It says a lot about French character that they so often use strikes as a means of voicing discontent. This is like the England of the 70's, when unions tried to control government thinking on all matters industrial and when England was known as the sick man of Europe. The French, in their own inimitable way, have continued this behaviour and no one seems to mind, nor do anything about it. If I understand correctly, the strike started from the sale (or privatisation) of a nationalised, bankrupt, ferry operator based in Corsica. The ferry employees had been on strike to protest at the bankrupt company being sold. Thousands of tourists were stranded in Corsica as a result. I have never understood the rationale of striking when a company is in trouble. It can only make matters worse. Anyway, after the police were used to allow stranded tourists to return to the mainland, a national strike was then called to voice discontent at this, and government policies on a string of other issues. Hmnnnn.

***

Another beautiful day today, so it was out into the garden to zap the weeds. I increased the weed killer dosage to 'nuclear strength' because the weeds are in danger of taking over the garden and this is one I'm going to win. (My hero - Ed.)

***

William, Christine and Paloma came for dinner. It's prawns in a spicy Thai sauce to start, swordfish with a tomato, basil and white wine salsa and plum crumble to finish. Jan's into crumbles at the mo. Yippee.

No comments: