Sunday, October 09, 2005

I used to go out with a wild bore

There I am, it's 07.21 and I'm reading. I nearly jumped out of bed when I hear two very loud shots fired in the surrounding hills. Who the hell was shooting? It was still dark for heavens sake! No wonder so many hunters get killed or injured around here, and whatever they were firing at must have been pretty big because, based upon the loudness of the bang, they were using something pretty highpowered. I presume it was a sanglier or some such because anything smaller would have been blown to bits. Such is life in the French countryside. Jan slept through it all, bless.

***

I find this business of water diving very interesting and dido sends me more information. Her tale somewhat mirrors my own experience many years ago. She wrote:

I'm glad that this has produced other comments. I have been doing some research on the subject and it's reported that 80% of the population should be able to produce some sort of result. I mentioned this to "Le Sourcier" this morning as he was here trying to sort out a drainage problem that is affecting our basement and he mentioned that he had his baguettes with him (his brass diving rods) and did I want a try - so I did!
Well, I must be in that 80% because they worked a treat - including the bit where you clear your mind and concentrate and ask them how deep the source is! You count down the depth and when you reach the level they just start turning inwards - it is really quite spooky! The plumber thinks that I may have a talent for this so he is going to make me my own set of baguettes! We will see whether it is true when they come to dig the well in the spring (no pun intended!). I'll report back with the results!


***

Reading this amusing article made me wonder if any other nation plays with conkers?

No comments: