Thursday, October 27, 2005

Home, not so sweet home

I have no idea why, but I could hardly sleep last night, so I spent several hours finishing off my latest book, Digital Fortress, by Dan Brown. It's a good, fast moving thriller. Recommended.

***

We made an early start and the final leg of the journey was fairly unexceptional, apart from the motorway through Lyon. We always go through the centre of town because, with no holdups, it's faster than the ring road. One day we will get caught but so far so good. The motorway lanes through Lyon are narrow and everything travels at a fair old lick (110 kph), so this part of the journey requires a bit more concentration. It's definitely quite exhilarating. The journey from Brighton to home is, 1218 kms and took 12 hours 51 minutes of driving time. Of no interest to you, no doubt, but this is a good place to record it for me. So there.

***

As ever, it is good to arrive home, but then the fun started. My computer, which has been switched off for 11 days, refuses to fully boot up. No matter what I do, I have no success. We are invited to the Lloyds (our favourite occasional neighbours) next door but one for dinner and I leave it running to see what happens. Nothing. It gets as far as the wallpaper and refuses to move forward. Bum, bum and thrice bum! Anyway the dinner was excellent. Smoked salmon to start followed by duck on a bed of lentils and spinach. Delicious and much better than I would have got at home. I leave the computer to fight with it another day.

No comments: