Saturday, October 29, 2005

Give it a rest

Still no change with 'el diablo' this morning. It's as if I expect a computer to get better overnight. A bit like 'a good nights sleep' will sort it out. No, it won't, dumbo!

***

During our recent stay in England there was a big national celebration for Trafalgar Day. As I understand it, Nelson died but won an 'important' battle. Frankly, I have no comprehension as to why this would be celebrated. I'm not one for celebrating wars or battles and understand even less a battle that took place 200 years ago. Why not all the others as well? There was probably an 'important' battle everyday of the year throughout history. I have no problem in remembering all those that gave their lives in defence of their country but to celebrate a battle just seems to me to be jingoistic nonsense. When I questioned this during a dinner party recently, one idiot stated that if we had lost the battle then we would all be speaking French and eating cheese. I had to remind him, that whilst I can always find something to criticise in the French, as I can the English, the French also eat well, drink wine, have the best healthcare system in Europe, work a 35 hour week and take the whole of August off.


***

Our new 'aperos' are now carrot or tomato juice with worcester and tabasco to pep it all up. Jan cooked meatballs with an interesting, sweet and spicy tomato sauce, courtesy of the Times. Jan wasn't too sure about the sweetness so I enjoyed it more than her.
A quiet Saturday night watching rubbish on the television. It seems like a long time ago that we last did this.

No comments: