Saturday, July 30, 2005

This little doggy went to market


This morning we hang about waiting for the nurse, which in the great scheme of things is only mildly irritating, but becomes an issue when we have 'things to do'. In particular, it means that Max has to miss his training yet again because it is difficult if not dangerous to try and get Max out of the car single handedly, and we can't both leave until the nurse has been. Why, I hear you say? Because Max launches himself headlong out of the boot as soon as you open the tailgate. If you anchor him to something it makes no difference, because he will either hang helplessly by his neck, strangling himself with an ever tightening collar, or pull so strongly it is difficult to loosen the ever tightening anchor knot. Trying to control a 40 kilos, struggling dog with your left hand and undo a very tight anchor with the other is difficult to say the least. So two people it is!

***

For a change, after the nurse has been, we decide to take Max to the market in Sommieres. In fact, it's one helluva change because he has never been to the market before and it will be interesting to see how he behaves. He behaves very well, but he is a little nervous and overawed with all the noise and bustle. In fact he behaves better than some Swiss Germans, who we offer a place at our table and, who accidentally tip the tables over, spill wine and water all over Jan, and omit to apologise. If Max is naughty, at least he licks you!

***

This weekend is the start of the annual French getaway and the roads are crazy with cars. We certainly felt it on our way to Sommieres. It's definitely a day to stay at home if at all possible. When in the UK, I always refused to drive anywhere on a Bank Holiday and the one time I broke my own rule I spent 3 hours stuck in traffic on a motorway, fuming at my own stupidity.

***

Out with the Lloyds for dinner to Le Fournea tonight. Glyn leaves tomorrow but will be back for another short stay mid August. They are a lovely family and we really enjoy their company. I enjoy being 'rude' with Katie and Tom (11 and 14) and doing all the things that their parents would never dream of. I have very fond memories of being 12 years old and being entertained in a much more adult way than my parents could allow themselves, by some of their friends. I recall with much fondness, individuals who helped open my mind, who treated me as a grown up and who showed me how to have fun.

No comments: