Monday, May 16, 2005

Why does it always rain on my parade?

What is it about women and chairs and rain?

I get woken at 5.30 this morning, to the sound of falling rain, to be asked again if I have brought the terrace chairs under cover.

When I politely point out that I am a man, and that as a man I think of these things, not when it is too late, but many hours in advance, because anticipation is a 'manly virtue'. This does not go down too well with she who must be obeyed.

Female logic then really kicks in with, "now that you're awake, how's about a cup of tea?"

Now that I'm awake, I let a little male logic kick in, and for a brief moment try to remind my 'she goddess' of my manly charms. I am very quickly reminded that it is not the third Sunday in Lent, in a leap year, and that she is not properly awake until she has had a cup of tea.


I get the tea!

***

Just as I'm about to reveal that I really like Mozilla Firefox, (I know that you've been waiting to hear that) I read this.
Is nothing safe or certain in this world anymore? Realistically it was only a matter of time before attention was directed at Firefox, probably in line with its growing popularity. In terms of its user friendliness and flexibility, it has advantages over IE and I have to say that I like it.

***

We join up with Jill and Harry, who have just arrived from the UK, and head off to Nimes for the last night of the Feria de Pentecote. We have also arranged to meet Bob and Lynne near the bronze toreador next to the Arene (keep up, I'm not repeating this!). As we walk past the Arene they bring out a bull that has just been killed. A Corrida is still an integral part of Ferias in this part of France and with Arles 20 miles away, I believe that this is as far east as bullfighting is still practised.

***

STOP PRESS - I have just read that today's public holiday was actually cancelled by the government some time ago but not for Gard because of the Feria in Nimes, if that makes any sense! Needless to say the unions called for strike action in the rest of France so most public services did not operate. It reminds me of the UK in the eighties!

No comments: