Friday, April 08, 2005

Pretty but dangerous journeys

I never fail to get a buzz at seeing Barcelona signed on the motorway near us. It's not too far, about 350 kilometers, and the journey takes about 4 hours at a steady pace. We always enjoy this trip, and as you head to the border, there's nothing nicer than seeing the snow capped Pyrenees on one side, and the sea, in the distance, on the other. Well, it would be, except today is cloudy and misty, and you can't see anything.

One day I'd like to get the train. I imagine it would be an interesting journey. However, trains can be dangerous, and that reminds me of the last time I made a train journey. In the seats opposite, on the other side of the aisle, there was a couple having sex. Everybody just sat and watched and nobody said anything. After about 20 minutes, they finished and then they both sat back and lit up a cigarette. I was really angry, and felt that I should make some comment at their unacceptable behaviour. "Excuse me", I said, "but don't you realise that this is a no smoking compartment?"

I don't know how Jan does it. She always find good hotels at very attractive prices. This one is no exception. Hotel Atenea Mar, www.bchoteles.com , is right on the sea front, not too far from the underground, and has the best breakfast buffet that I have seen in ages. Definitely recommended.


No comments: