Friday, April 29, 2005

Pay attention, you'll be tested

We started the day yesterday by again trying to eliminate the satellite receiver as the problem in our ongoing TV fiasco. I took the box to a friend and neighbour to try it out on his system. The box failed to work (no signal, no nothing), so now I think I know where the problem lies. On returning home, I set up the box so that when the New TV Repair Man shows this afternoon, he can see the system in non-action. Well blow me down, but it starts to work again. Arrrrrrgh!

If you're getting bored, then I understand, so skip the next paragraph.

Third TV Repair Man showed up, and after a full briefing from me, started to dismantle the existing set up. He does a really thorough job, rewiring, checking and rechecking everything. Voila, we have English TV! During the course of the afternoon, I have to suffer lots of low grade, daytime TV, as we check pictures, coming and going all over the house, but there was one item worth mentioning.

It was a book programme, and the celebrity chef, not known for her wit, was talking about the meals ordered by prisoners on the night before their execution. She made the comment, that despite expectations, not all meals conformed exactly to what was actually ordered.


The panel leant forward not knowing what to expect, and then she uttered the immortal words, - "just when you thought that life couldn't get any worse!"

The pool hits 25C this afternoon and Jan has the first swim of the year. I need it a tad warmer, more like 28C and then I'll venture in.

No comments: