Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Ah, now I understand, I think

I bite the bullet today.

Because I'm anticipating leaks, a non functioning pump and what have you, I have delayed turning the pool heating on. I did it today and you know what?..........it worked. As that great philosopher Jeremy Clarkson, once wrote, "by abandoning hope, I've removed the despair", or as that even greater philosopher, me, says, "unhappiness is the difference between expectation and reality". Keep your expectations low and, with luck, reality will ensure your happiness. Does any of this make any sense?

I've given up on the first TV Repair Man. We have no English television for the moment and frankly I'm not missing it too much. I'm taking this opportunity to watch (a little) French television instead. I'm amazed at how much I understand and just as amazed at how much I don't understand, but it's good practice. I tend to watch the news and always, (the English fascination) watch the weather. Evelyne, who usually presents at 19.50 on TF1, speaks clearly and not too fast, and in any case she is nice to look at whatever the weather. The other upside is that we start to watch some of the many DVD's that are sitting with their original cellophane wrapping still intact.

I have a call out to Frederick, from Gitem in Anduze, (heaven knows why I didn't just call him in the first place - well, I do know - I thought that I'd help a young Brit with his business in France) and hopefully Frederick will eliminate the antenna as a problem. He can't make it until next Tuesday, so another week will pass sans TV Anglaise!


No comments: