Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Thoughts from the north of France

Last night we stayed in a Campanile just south of Rheims. In the good old days, when men were men, and I travelled on expenses, a Campanile would have been a bit too far down my sights. Now that I'm poor (but have a lot of love to give!) I've had to adjust my sights and recognise that chains like Campanile serve a useful function at modest cost.

I mention hotels because our favourite hotel is Les Champs des Oiseaux in Troyes about an hour away. If we had been able to arrive mid afternoon and leave at a leisurely pace the next morning, enjoy the beautiful rooms and wander through the town, then that's where we would have stayed. Arriving late and leaving early prompts us to bed down at the most convenient place, and a Campanile fits that bill.


If you ever get a choice, the A26 (between Calais and Troyes should only be travelled at night,
1) because it is flat, treeless and featureless and
2) because it will send you to sleep anyway.
In a nut shell it is flat and boring and now that I think of it , just like a girl I used to go out with!

We pick up Max, who goes crazy to see us, and arrive home to find the plumber hard at work fixing things. A welcome surprise. As ever, it is good to be home.

No comments: